Sunday 9 May 2010

Album Art 2

Still looking into the album cover art which is released by Domino Records for their signed artists i decided to look into one of their biggest artists (and one of my personal favorites) The Arctic Monkeys.

Below 1. Still one of the best album covers of all time (personal opinion) is based on the image of a male smoking a cigarette in a grey scale colour pallet. The whole piece is based on subtleness and it works. The Arctic Monkeys logo is placed in the top left of the canvas and is sat inside a rounded rectangle, where the text is made more obvious in a bolder colour.
Below 2. Another design based on a photograph. This design is my least favorite - purely because it is very boring. It has no distinct style, looks pretty ameature and in some ways unfinished. I think my feeling are mainly based on the image - which looks like a screen shot from a recording session.
Below 3. Now this is my kind of image. Maybe it has been played with in photoshop but it looks like the type of photograph you could get from an old 1979 Olympus. The image itself has character due to its dark tone of colours and playful layout. 'Arctic Monkeys' is very subtle when being placed on the hoody of a bloke in a white, which acts as a frame.


Below 1. A design which is based on the text and colour pallet. This design uses a hand rendered font for the album title. I love style of this font - it reminds me of the typeface used for the Rugrats cartoon. The colour which this text is set in is very vibrant and eye-catching. I will be taking this typeface into my final batch of research to possibly design my logo on.
Below 2. Imagery which is directed towards the title of the album is always a winner. 'I bet you look good on the dancefloor' is the name of this album - and im guessing the female dressed in her work cloths relates to the title. Nice idea, layout and use minimal use of type.
Below 3. Much like No.1 - This cover is once again hand rendered. This time its again based on its subject - the title 'Teddy Picker'. The font is very 'fluffy' and large. - the soft bright colour works on the flap backgound.

No comments:

Post a Comment