Saturday 30 January 2010

Idents - Typefaces

The chosen typeface in any piece of graphic design is fundamental. It must communicate to the viewer in many ways - through reading, listening, touched etc.
This was a very hard situation to be in - making 4 films, with different typefaces used on their own dvd's etc, making them work together as a series and individually would be a hard task from the word go.
Things i needed to consider: The dialogue i was using from each film. Tone of voice. Audience etc. I played around with many different types and these were my final 3.

Onyx - Lovely typeface which i have seen used many times before. This typeface has such proud ascenders and descenders it gives me a slightly more sophisticated feel compared to the other two types a narrowed my selection down to. I feel it might be too elegant for my idents and the fact it has one weight/stroke is also a negative.
Myriad Pro - As i have said on my little 'poster' below - its boring. Not a nice typeface to look at, and although it has a wider selection of weights over Onyx - its not any better. You could work with it, but its the standard illustrator typeface and if it was seen in a final ident - you could be seen as very very lazy.
Helvetica Neue - Well ... its back, the slag of the typefaces, and why? Because its good at what it does. Using the wide selection of weights ranging from ultralight - condensed black ... your never unable to give some sort of emotion in a piece you are producing using Helvetica ... this is why i am using it for my idents.

No comments:

Post a Comment